Whether you’re migrating from a work Gmail address to a personal one or would like to change your Gmail username, you may wonder: Is it possible to transfer your emails from one gmail account to another? While keeping your folders & labels? The answer is “YES” and in this tutorial, we’ll show you how the transfer can be done easily!
Transferring emails from one Gmail account to another in two steps:
Advantages of this tutorial
As you perhaps might know from a quick Google search, there are many different approaches for transferring emails from one Gmail account to another. We’ve tested many of them and came up with this solution, which proved to be the most convenient way to transfer your Gmail emails.
Transferring emails from one Gmail account to another – advantages of our approach:
✓ no downtime
✓ automated forwarding after the migration
✓ no bothering with and trouble shooting of the Gmail migration tool
✓ fast, reliable and convenient
✓ works with mailboxes of any size, even really big ones
✓ no technical knowledge required
Not in the mood to read the instructions? You can also view this tutorial as Youtube video:
Step 01: Prepare your Gmail accounts for the email migration
In order to transfer your emails from your old Gmail account to a new one, you need to enable IMAP and generate an app password for your Gmail accounts:
1. Login to your old Gmail account and click on Settings (gear icon in the top right corner ) > See all settings.
2. Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP. In the section IMAP access, select Enable IMAP.
Now you need to generate an app password for your Gmail account. With the app password, transferring emails from one Gmail account to another can be done with the help of an email migration tool:
3. Click on the account icon (your profile picture) and choose Manage your Google Account.
4. On the left hand, select Security and scroll down to 2-Step-Verification.
5. Set 2-Step-Verification to ON, click on App passwords and authenticate with your account again (a security precaution by Google).
6. Generate your app password: Under Select app and device, choose Mail and enter any device (e.g. Windows). Click on the button Generate.
Google now shows your new app password. Copy this password and save it, you will need it in a few seconds!
Repeat Step 1-6 for your new Gmail account and save the app password for the new account as well!
Step 02: Start transferring emails from one Gmail account to another
Now that both Gmail accounts are set up, it’s time to start transferring your emails from one gmail account to another:
2. Go to Migrations and enter the following credentials:
Username: your Gmail email address (e.g. email@example.com)
Password: the app password you just created for the respective account
3. Click on Check Settings, wait until both of your accounts were checked and click on Start your Migration.
🎉 That’s it! 🎉
All you need to do now is wait until your migration finished. Depending on the size and amount of your emails, your email migration might take some time. But don’t worry: You can use both email accounts in the meantime, all necessary tasks will automatically be performed by the email migration tool.
Tip: In case you still receive new emails in your old Gmail account after the migration, activate the Auto sync in the MailJerry mailbox migration tool. All emails received after the migration will now automatically be forwarded to your new Gmail address!