Step 01: Setup your Yahoo Account
To import your Yahoo mails to Gmail, you first need to set up your Yahoo account. For this, you need to generate an app password for your Yahoo account:
How to Generate an App Password for Yahoo:
1. Log into your Yahoo Mail account at https://mail.yahoo.com/
2. Click on your user icon and select Account Information
3. In the left navigation bar, click on Account Security
4. Scroll down to Other ways to sign in and click on Generate app password.
5. Enter MailJerry or any other name as the app name and click on Generate password.
6. Copy and save this password. You’ll need it later to transfer your Yahoo mails to Gmail.
Step 02: Setup your Gmail Account
As you’ve already done for your Yahoo account, you also need to generate an app password and activate IMAP for your Gmail account. These settings are necessary in order to be able to import your Yahoo mails to Gmail.
Generate an App Password for your Gmail Account:
1. Log in to your Gmail account: https://mail.google.com
2. Click on your profile picture and select Manage your Google Account
3. In the left navigation, click on Security.
4. Scroll to Signing in to Google and make sure that 2-Step Verification is activated.
5. Now click on App passwords.
➡️ In case you do not see the option “App passwords”, follow this link: https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords
6. Gmail will now ask you to authenticate before being able to generate an app password.
7. After you have authenticated, select the app Mail and the type of your device (e.g. Mac, Windows…)
8. Click on Generate. Gmail will now create your app password. Copy and save the password. You’ll need it in a few seconds to transfer the Yahoo mails to Gmail.
👍 Well done, no we only have to make sure that IMAP is activated for your Gmail account and we’re good to go!
Ensure that IMAP is enabled for your Gmail account:
1. In your Gmail inbox, click on the Settings icon (left from your profile picture).
2. Select See all settings
3. Click on the tab Forwarding and POP / IMAP.
4. Scroll down to IMAP access and make sure that IMAP is enabled.
ℹ️ In case you changed your IMAP settings, don’t forget to scroll down and save the changes!
That’s it, both accounts are successfully set up. Now it’s time to actually transfer the Yahoo mails to Gmail! 💪
Step 03: Start the Transfer from Yahoo to Gmail
The hardest part is done, the rest of the transfer from Yahoo mail to Gmail is a piece of cake: 🍰
2. Click on New Migration
3. Enter the following credentials for both of your accounts:
|Your Yahoo mail address
|Your Gmail Address
|Your Yahoo app password
|Your Gmail app password
ℹ️ To connect both accounts, it’s essential to use your app passwords! Don’t use your regular login password as the transfer from Yahoo Mail to Gmail won’t work.
4. Click on Check Settings
5. After all settings were checked, you’ll receive a summary of the transfer from Yahoo mail to Gmail.
6. Click on Start your Migration.
ℹ️ If you wish to automatically forward all emails from Yahoo to Gmail that you received after the initial transfer, activate the option Syncronize Emails for 10 Days.
Well done! 👍
Your transfer from Yahoo to Gmail is completed.
As soon as your transfer is finished, all your Yahoo mails will also be contained in your Gmail account. And in case you activated the mailbox sync in the MailJerry email migration tool, new emails received in your Yahoo account will automatically be transferred to your Gmail account. 🎉
➡️ While you’r transfer from Yahoo to Gmail is on it’s way, you might ask yourself one of these two common questions:
How long does it take to import my Yahoo mail to Gmail?
The duration of the data transfer depends on the amount of emails contained in your Yahoo mailbox.
Usually, you are done in a few minutes. For large mailboxes with many GB of data, the transfer from Yahoo mail to Gmail might take some time, even hours. This is due to the unfortunate fact that both Yahoo and Gmail limit the data speed after a certain amount of data was transferred.
But don’t worry: Even if your transfer takes several hours (which happens in rare cases), you can simply shut down the MailJerry app and check back in a few hours / the next day. All your emails will reliably be imported from Yahoo mail to Gmail, no matter how long it will take 😉.
"My mailbox migration is complete and it is commendable that MailJerry outperformed all the migration softwares in the market including Google's own which was really pathetic.
Can I use my Yahoo or Gmail mailbox during the transfer (read / write / send emails)?
Absolutely! You can use any of your accounts during the transfer. Simply make sure that the option “Synchronize Emails for 10 Days” is activated sot that all changes in your old Yahoo account will be reflected in your Gmail mailbox as well.
➡️ In case you did not activate the mailbox sync before starting the transfer, you can simply activate it on the transfer details page after the initial import of your Yahoo mails to Gmail is completed.
Do you have further questions on how to transfer Yahoo mail to Gmail?
Check out these resources:
And in case you need to transfer your data from / to another provider, these tutorials might be helpful as well: