This tutorials only applies for the current version of the web app! To follow this tutorial, please use the web app instead of the desktop software / smartphone app!
Migrate from Gmail to Office 365 in 3 Steps:
Step 01: Get Ready to Migrate from Gmail to Office 365
To start the email migration from Gmail to Office 365, you need to have the following data at hand:
1. the credentials for your Gmail account (email address & password)
2. the credentials for your Office 365 account (email address & password)
👉 Don’t have the credentials for one or both accounts? Don’t worry, have a look here.
Step 02:Setup Your Gmail Account
Before starting to migrate from Gmail to Office 365, you first need to setup your Gmail account. To do so, you need to generate an app password and enable IMAP.
3. In the left navigation bar, click on Account Security
4. Scroll down to Other ways to sign in and click on Generate app password.
Generate an App Password for GmailTo generate an app password for your Gmail account, perform the following steps:
1. Log into your Gmail account at https://www.gmail.com
2. Click on your profile picture in the up right corner and click on Manage your Google Account.
3. You’ll be redirected to a new page. On this page, click on Security in the left navigation bar.
4. In the Security section, scroll down to Sign in to Google.
5. Set 2-Step Verification to On.
6. Now click on App passwords.
🤨 There is no option “App passwords”?
Simply click on this link: https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords
7. You might need to authenticate with your account again.
8. Now you can generate an app password:
- Choose Mail in the section Select app.
- Select your device (e.g. Windows, Mac…) in the Select device section.
9. Click on Generate.
✅ Google now displays your app password. ⚠️ Copy the password and save it. ⚠️
You’ll need it in a few minutes to start to migrate from Gmail to Office 365. Bur first, enable IMAP access for your Gmail account!
Enable IMAP Access for Gmail:
1. Go to https://mail.google.com and log in if necessary.
2. In the top right corner, click on the settings icon.
3. Click on See all settings
4. Select the tab Forwarding and POP/IMAP (last link on the right below the headline “Settings”)
5. Scroll down to IMAP access and select the option Enable IMAP
6. Scroll down to the end of the page and save the changes by clicking on Save settings
That’s all! Your Gmail account is now set up and you can start to migrate from Gmail to Office 365! 💪
Step 03: Migrate from Gmail to Office 365In order to migrate from Gmail to Office 365, you now need to move your emails from your old Gmail account into your new Office 365 mailbox. With MailJerry, this is easily done with a few simple steps:
Add Gmail Credentials:
1. Open MailJerry in your browser and click on New Migration
2. In the section Existing Address, select Gmail as Account Type
3. Enter your email address & app password.
⚠️ Important: Don’t add your regular password – use the app password you created for your account!
Connect with Microsoft Account:
4. In the section New Address, select Microsoft / Office 365 as Account Type
5. Enter the username for your account.
ℹ️ For most accounts, your username is your email address.
6. Click on Connect with Microsoft Account.
7. The Microsoft sign in popup opens. Enter your password and click on login.
8. After connecting with your Office 365 account, your account will be marked as signed in.
9. After connecting with your Office 365 account, click on Check Settings and wait until MailJerry checked both of your accounts.
➡️ Depending on the data volume you wish to migrate from Gmail to Office 365, checking your accounts might take some time.
10. After both of your accounts were successfully checked, you are redirected to the summary. Here, you’ll see how much data (data volume, number of emails & folders…) will be migrated to Office 365.
To start the email migration, click on Start Your Migration.
11. Your emails will now automatically be migrated from Gmail to Office 365. Lean back and wait until your data migration is completed.
👍 That’s it! As soon as your migration finished, your email data will be available in your Office 365 email account.
BONUS:What to do After Migrating from Gmail to Office 365
Once the migration is completed, your emails will exist in two separate accounts: your old Gmail account and your new Office 365 account. So what should you do about that after the mail migration? Usually, you migrate from Gmail to Office 365 because you no longer want to use your old Gmail account.
Therefore, you should:
1. Sync your accounts after the data migration
2. Inform your contacts about your new email address
Sync your email accounts after migrating to Office 365:
After your initial email migration finished, it is very likely that you still receive emails in your old Gmail account. In order to migrate these emails as well from Gmail to Office 365, activate the mailbox sync:
1. Go to Overview and click on your migration
2. On the details page, activate the option Automatically synchronize Emails
From now on, all emails received in your Gmail account will automatically be forwarded to your new Office 365 mailbox!
Thank you so much for providing such an amazing tool. I was looking into doing this with another software that would've taken me forever to learn and do but with MailJerry, my email migration was a lot easier!"
Inform your contacts:
Though all your emails are now automatically forwarded to your new Office 365 account, people might get confused when you reply to them by using your new email address.
Therefore, inform your contacts about your new email address.
Your message might look like this:
Subject: Important: New Email Address
Dear [Recipient’s Name],
I wanted to let you know that I’ve recently changed my email address.
My new email address isis [YourNewEmail@emailprovider.com].
Please update your records or contact lists with this new address.
FAQMigrate Gmail to Office 365 – Common Questions
I forgot my Gmail password / username. What should I do?
In case you can’t recall your Gmail username, use the Google Username Recovery tool. For a step-by-step guide on handling a forgotten username, visit this link: https://support.google.com/answer/2452047?hl=en
If you still know your username but can’t remember your password, you can reset your password with the Gmail Account Recovery Tool. For all options on how to recover your password, have a look at this page.
I don’t have the username / password for my Office 365 account!
Don’t worry! As with Gmail, Microsoft offers a wide range of tools to help you recover your data:
If you can’t remember your username, use the Microsoft Username Recovery Tool.
Forgot your Office 365 password? Have a look at this help page to find out how to reset the password for your account.
Need further instructions? You can find a detailed description on what to do in case you forgot your username and / or password here.
What is an app password?
An app password consists of a 16-digit passcode specially created for your Gmail account. This unique passcode allows non-Google applications to connect with your account. Using an app password is an additional security precaution utilised by many applications.
Why must I use an app password?
Using an app password is an additional security measure that is required by Google. By using the app password, Google and MailJerry can ensure that your data is 100% save and granting access to your account is within your control at all times.
Can I choose “Login with Google” instead of generating an app password?
No. As we’ve discovered in many tests with small, medium and large mailboxes, the connection method “Log in with Google” tends to cause delays and interruptions in the data migration. However, to migrate from Gmail to Office 365 by using an app password works without any problems at all times.
➡️ Therefore, using an app password is the best method to migrate your emails from Gmail to Office 365.
Why do I have to enable IMAP?
By enabling IMAP for your Gmail account, you make sure that your emails are stored on the Google mailserver. As opposed to POP, which saves the email data only on one device (smartphone, PC, tablet…), IMAP allows to save email data on a web server, making it available for multiple devices. By enabling IMAP access, you are able to migrate from Gmail to Office 365 directly without any data download or upload
For further information about the differences between IMAP & POP, have a look at:
Exchange POP3 IMAP: What’s the difference & what am I using?
My migration from Gmail to Office 365 is very slow! What can I do?
Unfortunately, Google applies bandwidth limits (max. 2500 MB of downloaded data per day). This means, after migrating 2500 MB, your migration will run significantly slower and take more time.
But don’t worry! Do not stop the email migration. It is absolutely no problem when your migration runs longer than 24 hours. In fact, we already migrated very (very) large mailboxes that took more than two weeks without any problems!
➡️ Simply use your email accounts as usual while the migration is running. Changes in your Gmail account happening during the email migration will be applied after the email migration finished through activating the mailbox sync.
Can I close MailJerry during the email migration?
Yes. Migrating large mailboxes from Gmail to Office 365 might take some time. Since your data is directly migrated between Gmail and Office 365, you can close the MailJerry software at any given time and even shut down your computer, without loosing any data / migration progress!