Transferring email accounts can be a daunting task for many web designers. In this blog post, we will walk you through how to transfer email accounts for your clients in a hassle-free manner. With our tips and best practices, you’ll be able to avoid common pitfalls and ensure a smooth transition for your clients’ mailboxes.
How to Transfer Email Accounts for Clients: Setup & Preparation
To ensure a seamless email migration for your clients, preparation is key. Here’s a checklist of what you’ll need before transferring your clients’ emails:
1. A list of all the mailboxes that require migration
2. Access credentials for the existing mailboxes (username, password, mail servers).
3. Access credentials for the new mailboxes.
The new mailboxes don’t already exist?
If the new mailboxes are not yet created, log in to the control panel of the new web space or server and created the required mailboxes. In case you don’t have access to the webspace, you can request your client or hosting provider to create the mailboxes on your behalf.
Streamline your preparation!
➡️ Download our email migration checklist and have your client complete the “Checklist: Email Migration” form (Checklist-Email-Migration.pdf), so you’ll have all the data needed at hand.
How to transfer email accounts so your customers don’t have to worry:
Some clients tend to get a little tense when they know something is going on with their emails. So be proactive, communicate before you do something and sooth your customer’s nerves. Believe us, it’s way more unlikely that you receive frantic phone calls or emails .
Copy this email template, past it into a new email, fill out the blanks and hit send.
With these steps in place, you’re halfway there – let’s get those emails where they belong!
Let’s go: Performing the Email Migration
- Download & open the MailJerry app or open the Webapp at https://webapp.mailjerry.com. Now click on “New Migration”
- Enter the credentials for the old and new accounts for the first mailbox.
- Click on “Check Settings”.
- Activate “Synchronize Emails for 10 days” in the summary.
- Click on “Start your Migration”.
➡️ While your first migration is in progress, click on “NEW MIGRATION” (upper right corner) and repeat steps 2-5 for all the mailboxes that require migration.
❓ Encountering issues? Take a look at the troubleshooting section.
After the Email Migration
Once all email migrations have been completed, they will be marked with a green icon in the overview:
Now it’s time to share the good news with your clients.
Use our email template to send your customers the login credentials for their new mailboxes and request that they start using them within 7 days.
You might be wondering why 7 days? The auto-sync feature in the MailJerry app runs for 10 days, providing you with a little extra time in case your client forgets to switch to their new account.
That’s it! Your email migrations are complete. Pretty easy, right?
If you’d like to learn more, take a look at the following tutorials:
- How to Transfer Mail Address to a New Domain for Your Clients
- How to Transfer Mail and Keep the Same Domain: Tutorial
- Expert Solutions: Overcoming Common Problems When Migrating Emails for Your Clients
- Email Migration Announcement Template: Efficiently Communicate With Your Client